Thursday, October 24, 2013

Out of Control


Manipura, the third chakra of the body, has do to with the power of the will.  When too much energy is focused in this one area of your body (located near the navel) you may deal with the inability to slow down and the need to be in control.  On the contrary, when not enough attention is directed toward this chakra the side-effects are timidity, low energy, and a submissive approach to life.

Personally, I feel as though I have traits of both the excessive and deficient manipura; so wouldn’t that make me balanced?!  Not so much.  Struggling with an extreme trait from both an overactive and dismal third chakra doesn’t necessarily mean the traits counteract one another; it simply exemplifies the inconsistency of “control” within this particular area of my life.

Am I out of control?  I’m not drinking myself under the table, reckless driving, or starting brawls with strangers.  To an outsider looking in I probably appear to be fairly “normal.”  However, you don’t have to perform an extreme act of rage in order to need help, for the goal of balancing the third chakra is to, “…develop the courage to stand your ground, to protect the sacred within, to accept challenges, and maintain power in a firm quiet way;” (“The Sevenfold Journey,” pg. 129 Judith & Vega) to consciously be aware of our decisions, who we allow to influence us, and the understanding of our own power.

I confess, I sometimes am guilty of allowing my mind to dwell on matters I have no control over which in turn can be demobilizing and extracts energy from what is truly important (i.e. family, life goals, etc…).  When we practice yoga it encourages this balance amongst all the chakras, and brings an awareness of the changes that need to be made in OUR minds (we can’t do anything about anyone else’s).

So, I encourage you to laugh, and let go of what you can’t control.  “When we can laugh at something, it no longer has power over us.” (“The Sevenfold Journey,” pg. 148 Judith & Vega)  Continue to practice, and notice the areas in your life you need balance.




No comments:

Post a Comment